We assist clients who are fashion designers or fashion industry professionals and we advise fashion and accessories businesses.
We negotiate and draft:
- Licensing agreements – licensing is the process of “renting” a fashion company’s intellectual property (generally trademarks) to another entity for use in conjunction with a product or service, for a sum of money called royalties. It is based on a contractual agreement between the owner of the property, known as the licensor, and the manufacturer or retailer, known as the licensee.
- Manufacturing agreements – contracts between a designer or a company that has developed a product, such as an article of clothing, accessory, or footwear, and a manufacturer. The agreement often includes the following terms: quantity, shipment, payment, delivery dates, product specifications (quality), manufacturer’s know-how, ownership of intellectual property, and the liability of the parties.
- International manufacturing contracts are used when a company arranges for another company in a different country to manufacture its products.
- Distribution agreements – contracts to distribute a product made by a company to the dealers and remarketers of the product.
We arrange the registration of trademarks, copyrights and design patents to protect a brand from counterfeiting, brand dilution and infringement.
- Trademarks protect words, logos, and symbols that identify and distinguish a brand’s products.
- Copyrights protect original artistic works, such as images and patterns.
- Design patents protect new, original, and ornamental designs, such as shoes.